Friday, April 07, 2006

Hats off to Taxi Drivers!



There are over 30,000 taxis in Singapore. If you want a taxi, you just stand on the side of the road; stick your arm out and within a couple of minutes you’ve got one. They are incredibly cheap to use and are plentiful (unless it is raining…..that is another story entirely…..!)
The main reason for this is that cars here are expensive. Beyond expensive. They can cost more than a house at home. I am not joking! They have limited life spans too cos of environmental issues. Hence, we don’t own one! Justin has a work vehicle but I rely on taxis, and as they are so easy to get it isn’t a problem really.

A couple of months ago, I went out with Finn. It wasn’t until we were in the shopping centre, I realised I had left my favourite Finn hat in the taxi. I was gutted. Seriously peed off. OK, it was just a hat. But a) I loved Finn in it, he looked scrummy and b) It had been my Thomas's, my nephew’s hat. I just loved the fact the two boys wore the same hat. I know I am pathetic! Rang Justin and was miserable. Over the weeks I kept kicking myself for leaving it there. Arse! Couldn’t find one I liked.

Yesterday I had to go for a scan and my friend looked after the monster. Sonya and Finn went shopping and suddenly the taxi driver turned and said “Is a skinny lady sometimes with that child?” (!! Not anymore!!) to which Sonya replied, “Yes……?” He then opened his glove box, produced a blue hat and said “I think this belongs to him,” and gave her Finn’s hat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He said he realised it had to be Finn, cos how many blonde haired boys just spend an entire journey yelling “dig dig” and excitedly pointing out of the window!

Not the best story you’ll ever hear, not the biggest coincidence you’ll ever come across, but it makes me smile so much.


5 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

What a top taxi driver! Its so great to get something returned when you thought it was lost forever!

6:03 pm  
Blogger Sam said...

Cool! How good a memory does that man have?! He must have had a tonne of passengers since it was left behind and Finn's stuck in his memory! How cool is that?! You'll have to call it his boomarang hat now!

7:22 pm  
Blogger Clare said...

You see Sasha??? Everyone remembers you and your top little guy!!! What a cool story, I love hats too, was gutted not to have another little girl to wear MY particular fave again LOL!

7:59 pm  
Blogger Bec said...

Just goes to show what a lovely little boy Finn is. From all the passengers he must pick up and he remembered your special little lad! Bet you (and Finn of course!) were pleased to be reunited with the hat.

Bec x

9:18 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG!!! That is an amzing story Sasha. I know exactly what you mean about significant items of clothing. I have the odd thing of Toms and Rubys that I will always keep and would be gutted if I lost. They wore the same summer hat years ago and I have stored away safely. It seems you little man makes an impression wherever he goes. :)

2:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home