The Magic of Fireflies
Promise promise promise we are nearly done with my looking back! Just a couple more things I want to write about.
It was Easter. I had been to New Zealand with a couple of girlie chums for a superb superb holiday. (Have you noticed, as I have whilst writing my rambles, I like to repeat words?!!)
We had been to the South Island and had a ball. We hired a car and for two weeks drove all over visiting beautiful places. I would move there in an instant. It is a stunning country. Lots of good girlie giggles. One of my fav holidays of all time.
Once back in Singapore, Justin asked if I wanted to go to Bintan the following weekend. Bintan is an Indonesian island which is about 40 minutes away by ferry. Part of it is all resorts and is just gorgeous. It is so close and we often had quick get aways there. (Note the past tense….had! Not been since the Munchkin was born)
Justin said he would book it and came back with a great deal to stay here. Hurrah! One of my fav places on the island!
Whilst we were on the ferry, Justin told me that the resort package also came with a firefly watching tour on the Saturday night and should we go? Seeing as we always stay in and order room service, I thought why not, makes a change.
Unfortunately, Justin woke with a cold the next morning and was feeling rather run down, so it looked like we’d have to cancel the trip. But by the evening he had perked up and was a lot more sprightly so we went ahead with our plans.
We were picked up at the hotel and driven to the back of beyond, to the mangrove swamps, where at the end of a jetty, a boat awaited us. When I asked if it was a busy tour we were told it was generally busy, but tonight we were lucky, it was just us.
It was a gorgeous night. Loads and loads of stars. No light pollution here! All you could see were tiny sparkles in the sky. The tour was super. We went all the way into the mangroves where fireflies danced about, they would land on you and for an instant you glowed golden. We caught them in our hands and then let them fly again. I could have spent all night watching them, I was entranced.
After about an hour we made our way back down the long river to the jetty. It was such a surreal experience, pitch black all around, yet the sky lit up and the flashes of the fireflies dancing at the side. I lay back against Justin watching for shooting stars and having one of those OMG life doesn’t get much better than this moments.
When suddenly the boat shuddered to a stop. The driver and the tour guide panicked. The engine had broken. I have to admit, I wasn’t bothered. I knew we would be rescued, and heck there were worse places to be stranded! Anyway, the engine dying meant it was peaceful! We drifted along in silence. Just beautiful.
Suddenly to my right I saw these tiny lights, were they fireflies? It took me a good few moments to work out what they were.
They were white fairy lights. Lots of them. Floating in the sky, like fireflies. Spelling out a message.
Marry me Sash.
It was Easter. I had been to New Zealand with a couple of girlie chums for a superb superb holiday. (Have you noticed, as I have whilst writing my rambles, I like to repeat words?!!)
We had been to the South Island and had a ball. We hired a car and for two weeks drove all over visiting beautiful places. I would move there in an instant. It is a stunning country. Lots of good girlie giggles. One of my fav holidays of all time.
Once back in Singapore, Justin asked if I wanted to go to Bintan the following weekend. Bintan is an Indonesian island which is about 40 minutes away by ferry. Part of it is all resorts and is just gorgeous. It is so close and we often had quick get aways there. (Note the past tense….had! Not been since the Munchkin was born)
Justin said he would book it and came back with a great deal to stay here. Hurrah! One of my fav places on the island!
Whilst we were on the ferry, Justin told me that the resort package also came with a firefly watching tour on the Saturday night and should we go? Seeing as we always stay in and order room service, I thought why not, makes a change.
Unfortunately, Justin woke with a cold the next morning and was feeling rather run down, so it looked like we’d have to cancel the trip. But by the evening he had perked up and was a lot more sprightly so we went ahead with our plans.
We were picked up at the hotel and driven to the back of beyond, to the mangrove swamps, where at the end of a jetty, a boat awaited us. When I asked if it was a busy tour we were told it was generally busy, but tonight we were lucky, it was just us.
It was a gorgeous night. Loads and loads of stars. No light pollution here! All you could see were tiny sparkles in the sky. The tour was super. We went all the way into the mangroves where fireflies danced about, they would land on you and for an instant you glowed golden. We caught them in our hands and then let them fly again. I could have spent all night watching them, I was entranced.
After about an hour we made our way back down the long river to the jetty. It was such a surreal experience, pitch black all around, yet the sky lit up and the flashes of the fireflies dancing at the side. I lay back against Justin watching for shooting stars and having one of those OMG life doesn’t get much better than this moments.
When suddenly the boat shuddered to a stop. The driver and the tour guide panicked. The engine had broken. I have to admit, I wasn’t bothered. I knew we would be rescued, and heck there were worse places to be stranded! Anyway, the engine dying meant it was peaceful! We drifted along in silence. Just beautiful.
Suddenly to my right I saw these tiny lights, were they fireflies? It took me a good few moments to work out what they were.
They were white fairy lights. Lots of them. Floating in the sky, like fireflies. Spelling out a message.
Marry me Sash.

8 Comments:
Oh crap, you've just made me cry too!
That was beautiful. My proposal was on the bed of a dodgy b&b in banbury!
Clare
xx
boo hoo, I haven't got a story!!! But yours makes up for that, you lucky lady :)
Well hun, either we are all extremely hormonal or that is a helluva beautiful story!!! Justin sounds like the perfect man, surely he scratches his arse or leaves the lav seat up!
Off to find the kleenex now, I'm filling up!
Ess. x
That's such a lovely story! As mentioned, you are a very lucky lady - and its a pleasure to 'know' you - even if not in person!
My story, well, it was in Paris, just before we borded a Bateaux Mouche for a dinner dance. Lots of champagne followed!
What a bunch of hormones we are!! Thats a lovely story, Sasha. You've got one lovely man there.
M proposed to me on bonfire night while we were laid in bed watching the fireworks over the river.
Crying? Me? You have the most beautiful romantic stories Sasha, what a lucky lady you are to have found such a thoughtful prince charming!
You bugger Splishie!!! I will not cry, I WILL NOT CRY!
My proposal came after we both went to buy a ring on the day we'd been together 6 months so I knew it was coming. We pulled into a car park on a garden centre, Jim put David Grays This Years Love on the stereo and asked me to make him the happiest man in the world. Not the most romantic but still very exciting :)
I love love love your stories x
OMG that is so so so romantic. You have me in tears now (but happy ones!)
Bec xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Post a Comment
<< Home