Thursday, March 23, 2006

Memory Making

When I sat down to write my first Blog entry, I had no idea I would be talking about what happened in the past, I assumed it would be all set in the present, documenting what I had been doing that day. Not what had happened years before, but I suppose in my mind I needed to set the scene; you needed to know how I came to be here. I have actually really enjoyed writing our story down, so I am afraid you’ll have to bear with me as I carry on being self-indulgent and look back to the past again.

So, Justin and I were together. Straight away I realised he was special. I said to my Godmother, “I have either met the most amazing man or the best bullshitter.”
From day one, I felt like I had known this man for ever.

We had been together for about 6 months when Justin’s contract here ended and he had to go back to Sydney. I was devastated, was our relationship strong enough to survive? We were to be an 8 hour plane journey apart. I can still remember that feeling of him going. I felt physically sick. I thought I had been in love before but realised I hadn’t. This was it. The Real Thing. Justin used to say that he wished we had not had previous relationships and that we were each others firsts. I disagreed. I was so glad I had a past as it showed me just how amazing my present and my future were. I appreciated him so much more.
We had our final weekend here.

So in March 2000, Justin flies off. The one thing that kept me going was that I would see him in a couple of weeks as I was flying out to join him for Easter. I was so excited about seeing him but also I was flying to Australia!!!!!!!! Australia!! I still had to pinch myself that just the year before I was in England, waiting to fly to Singapore, wondering if I was doing the right thing, would the ex get in contact, how was I to pay my shopping bills….and here I was off to Oz. To be with the most amazing man. God, life was good!

The reunion was wonderful. So romantic and well….you can use your imaginations! Some things best left unsaid! Justin had to work the next day, but his brother took me for a coffee and then dropped me off in the city. The plan was for me to go shopping, have a wander around and meet Justin later.
I started walking, just enjoying the buzz and people watching. I went and bought a drink and a cake and thought I’d find a park to sit in. I was walking and suddenly there in front of me was The Opera House. To the left, The Harbour Bridge.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was in Sydney. I was in Australia. The scene before me was exactly, exactly the same as it is in magazines! And I was there. Even now, looking back I get goosebumps when I think about that moment. I can remember it so clearly. I just sat there for hours. Just staring thinking how lucky I was. I had it all. That is definitely one of the best moments of my life.

That trip was amazing. Justin had organized 2 weeks of traveling around New South Wales and it was perfect. Meeting kangaroos for the first time, drinking Billy tea, seeing the stunning beaches. Perfect.

But it was soon back to reality and we had to part. The trip home was horrible and I spent the whole sobbing under my blanket.

But we were lucky. Very lucky. The longest we were apart for at any one time was 7 weeks. That was doable. We would meet up in Perth as that was 4 hours for each of us to fly too. I had good holidays from school and Justin would get the odd contract that would bring him to Singapore for a couple of months. I have to say that whilst I missed him so much, I did have the best of both worlds. An incredible relationship and also the time to spend with my friends.

One time I flew to Sydney just for the weekend. I left school on the Friday and was back in on the Monday morning…….could just casually mention here that I flew there to watch the Olympics!!!!! OMG! It was incredible. We went to the mountain bike event (Jodi, you and Jobes would have loved it!) I don’t know anything about mountain bikes, but stood there with tears flooding down my face as I thought, shit, look where I am! As for when they presented the medals, they could have had the swimming events there too! (One funny moment which I had forgotten about until now, was when I went back to school and one of the kids said he had seen someone on tv looking just like me kissing a man at the mountain bike event! And wasn’t it funny how there was an Australian who was my twin….!)
We also saw the American Dream team play basketball. That was cool!!!! But the highlight was going to see the rowing…….and a certain GB team winning Gold! By this point I was sobbing like I have never sobbed before. I rang my father and it was the early hours, he thought something had happened until I finally managed to blurt out we had won gold!!!! I stood for the national anthem, singing my little heart out. So so proud. Ooohhhh, goodness me, need a tissue just thinking about it!

So many amazing memories. I could write and write about the things we have done in the time we have been here . We really are very lucky people.

After about a year and a half we were fed up though with all this long distance palaver. One of us would have to move. I was happy to leave to go and live in Oz, but knew I would miss my friends and job, but luckily Justin got a post which was permanently based in Singapore. So in October 2001, Justin came to live with me.
My man was home, where he belonged.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

You've stayed at the Banyan Tree? - cowbag!!!!We've stayed next door to the one at Phucket (slumming it in at the 5 star Sheraton lol!). I am very jealous now!!!It is very plush indeed!

I am loving your story, will have to do mine one day - me from Wolverhampton, Jerry from Herefod, met in York....naw, doesn't have the same ring to it!

3:55 pm  
Blogger Nic said...

Ok, so how are you making me cry?? Your story is ace Sasha.
Nic
xx

5:36 pm  
Blogger Clare said...

Love makes the world go round. Sasha, you make me feel all happy ;)

5:51 pm  
Blogger Sasha said...

Its funny as we actually aren't very romantic really! Don't ever celebrate Valentines, no romantic meals out, don't really have a special song etc etc. We just love each other! Having said that Banyan Tree is bloody romantic!!!!!

6:08 pm  
Blogger Sam said...

The Banyan Tree? Sasha, if you were anyone else I'd have called you a be-atch, but you're so lovely you deserved it, and gawd knows how you two needed a special going away present for each other. Your love is blinding.

2:23 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Such a happy story Spilsh, I loves it! :)))))

2:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home