Begin at the beginning, a very good place to start.
Hmmmmm, what have I let myself in for??!!! Well actually, what have I let you all in for?!! Been finally persuaded to create a blog.........Not really sure I have that much to talk about but seeing as I am very good at waffling, going off at a tangent, talking about complete random nonsense, maybe I will be okay!
So, I thought I'd start at the start. How did an Essex Girl get to be in Singapore? (answers on a postcard..........!)
Way back in 1999, life was a bit pants. Was teaching at a great school in Surrey, but my personal life was going down the drain. Mum had died, and I had split up with my long term boyfriend. Was in debt up to my eyeballs and felt that there was more to life. Other people went travelling. Other people got jobs abroad. I didn't. Well, why not? Why couldn't I be an other person? I applied to a few British International schools, not really expecting to hear much. Well, the first reply was from a large school in Singapore. Offering me an interview. Now, I was very lucky in that when I had finished my teaching practice, the school I was at offered me a job, so I didn't have to apply for one. Great! But that meant I hadn't had an interview for a teaching position before. So I had no idea what to expect. I rang a friend up who had been teaching in Egypt and begged for help. She told me to brainstorm questions that they may ask. "Like 3 adjectives to describe yourself?" I replied.
"Sasha," Julia cried, "This is one of the top international schools in the world, do you really think they are going to ask you such banal, crap questions like that?!"
Nervously I went to the interview held in London. Felt soooo sick.
The interview started. Sweaty palms.
"So Sasha, can you use 3 adjectives to describe yourself?????"
A few days later the phone rang. Did I want a job?! http://www.tts.edu.sg/ became my new employers.
This was in the February and in August 1999, I flew out with 15 other new teachers to start my new life. I was still waiting for the ex to contact me, or turn dramatically up at the airport, begging me not to go. I think I would have stayed if he had. I used to wonder if deep down i had only applied to shock him into coming back to me. But no such romantic gesture.
The plan was to stay 2 years. Pay off my debts, have fun. See a bit of the world. And stay single. No men for me. Life was for living not being messed around by some ba*tard!
A few weeks after arriving, I went into a bar......oh how my life changed!
So, I thought I'd start at the start. How did an Essex Girl get to be in Singapore? (answers on a postcard..........!)
Way back in 1999, life was a bit pants. Was teaching at a great school in Surrey, but my personal life was going down the drain. Mum had died, and I had split up with my long term boyfriend. Was in debt up to my eyeballs and felt that there was more to life. Other people went travelling. Other people got jobs abroad. I didn't. Well, why not? Why couldn't I be an other person? I applied to a few British International schools, not really expecting to hear much. Well, the first reply was from a large school in Singapore. Offering me an interview. Now, I was very lucky in that when I had finished my teaching practice, the school I was at offered me a job, so I didn't have to apply for one. Great! But that meant I hadn't had an interview for a teaching position before. So I had no idea what to expect. I rang a friend up who had been teaching in Egypt and begged for help. She told me to brainstorm questions that they may ask. "Like 3 adjectives to describe yourself?" I replied.
"Sasha," Julia cried, "This is one of the top international schools in the world, do you really think they are going to ask you such banal, crap questions like that?!"
Nervously I went to the interview held in London. Felt soooo sick.
The interview started. Sweaty palms.
"So Sasha, can you use 3 adjectives to describe yourself?????"
A few days later the phone rang. Did I want a job?! http://www.tts.edu.sg/ became my new employers.
This was in the February and in August 1999, I flew out with 15 other new teachers to start my new life. I was still waiting for the ex to contact me, or turn dramatically up at the airport, begging me not to go. I think I would have stayed if he had. I used to wonder if deep down i had only applied to shock him into coming back to me. But no such romantic gesture.
The plan was to stay 2 years. Pay off my debts, have fun. See a bit of the world. And stay single. No men for me. Life was for living not being messed around by some ba*tard!
A few weeks after arriving, I went into a bar......oh how my life changed!

6 Comments:
Ooooooooo, can't wait for the next instalment!
Yippee to blogging, for a lady prone to nosiness, it's a godsend hehe ;)
Ah Sasha, thats a wonderful story. Somehow I dont think you'll have any problems with people getting bored! Welcome to blogland xxxxx
I knew you would in the end!!! Welcome to blogging chicken!
We want more!!!
Ess. x
I've been nosing to see if you had a Blog and you havent let me down! I'm so pleased I can keep up-to-date with your adventures!
Hey Splishie!
I want to work at that school and I'm not a teacher. I like your blog.
Nic
Yippee! So glad you got a blog Sasha, you bring us a shot of sunshine from warmer climes with your stories. It's funny how when life seems to be s**ting on you from a great height, it's actually just pointing you in a better direction. What a fabulous tale hun.
Post a Comment
<< Home