May 14th 2004
My gorgeous sister had been in Australia on holiday and was flying back to the UK, but stopping here for 24hrs. This got us thinking, why not get married when Anna was out here?? The whole where do we get married issue was a potential nightmare, here, UK or Oz?? No matter where it was, we would piss some people off for not being able to make it. But we didn’t want it to be about trying to please everybody; we wanted it to be about us getting married. Whilst we love going to big weddings, this isn’t really us and we wanted something small and chilled.
So the seed was sown. The only problem…… Anna was arriving in three weeks….could we do it?????? I rang the family and told them the date. Anna, of course, would already be here, Dena was pregnant and couldn’t have flown and Dad couldn’t make it. This broke my heart as I wanted Daddy there, but I could understand it, as it was such short notice.
So planning began in earnest. I was very, very busy as I had a massive responsibility….the dress!!!! Justin did everything else! Never before has there been a bride so less involved in her wedding!!!!!
The main problem was where we could we hold it with just 3 weeks to go? We toyed with the idea of having it outside, somewhere like the Botanic Gardens. Then one evening a light bulb came on in Justin’s head………a yacht! He had been on The Rising Tide a few months previously………it could be ideal. He made tentative enquiries….it was free on the 14th! They hadn’t had a wedding on board before, but why not?? Now preparations could begin in earnest….


So back to my main task……there was a slight problem…….I would be 28 weeks pregnant!!! Not many bridal gowns for that market! I saw a photo of Cate Blanchett arriving at a premiere looking rather blooming in a beautiful red gown. I tore it out and took it to a dressmaker who designed me something very similar. Hurrah, my job was done! Cor, this getting hitched lark is easy!!
On the actual day, Anna and I (I kept to tradition and hadn’t seen Justin since the night before) went out for lunch, did a bit of girlie shopping and had our hair done. Such a relaxing morning. Once home we got ready, all I had to do was to put my dress on. The door bell went……I assumed it was more flowers……it was my Dad!!!!!!!!!!!!
Daddy had come after all! (He’d been hiding at my friend’s house!) The first thing I said was “My make up is ruined!!!!!”
We arrived at the yacht club (in a London Cab) and walked down the gangplank to The Rising Tide. Justin had decorated it with strands and strands of jasmine. It smelt amazing.
So the seed was sown. The only problem…… Anna was arriving in three weeks….could we do it?????? I rang the family and told them the date. Anna, of course, would already be here, Dena was pregnant and couldn’t have flown and Dad couldn’t make it. This broke my heart as I wanted Daddy there, but I could understand it, as it was such short notice.
So planning began in earnest. I was very, very busy as I had a massive responsibility….the dress!!!! Justin did everything else! Never before has there been a bride so less involved in her wedding!!!!!
The main problem was where we could we hold it with just 3 weeks to go? We toyed with the idea of having it outside, somewhere like the Botanic Gardens. Then one evening a light bulb came on in Justin’s head………a yacht! He had been on The Rising Tide a few months previously………it could be ideal. He made tentative enquiries….it was free on the 14th! They hadn’t had a wedding on board before, but why not?? Now preparations could begin in earnest….


So back to my main task……there was a slight problem…….I would be 28 weeks pregnant!!! Not many bridal gowns for that market! I saw a photo of Cate Blanchett arriving at a premiere looking rather blooming in a beautiful red gown. I tore it out and took it to a dressmaker who designed me something very similar. Hurrah, my job was done! Cor, this getting hitched lark is easy!!
On the actual day, Anna and I (I kept to tradition and hadn’t seen Justin since the night before) went out for lunch, did a bit of girlie shopping and had our hair done. Such a relaxing morning. Once home we got ready, all I had to do was to put my dress on. The door bell went……I assumed it was more flowers……it was my Dad!!!!!!!!!!!!
Daddy had come after all! (He’d been hiding at my friend’s house!) The first thing I said was “My make up is ruined!!!!!”
We arrived at the yacht club (in a London Cab) and walked down the gangplank to The Rising Tide. Justin had decorated it with strands and strands of jasmine. It smelt amazing.
On board were 20 of our closest friends. We spent at least a couple of hours on board before we set the anchor down and got married at sunset. It was such a special time. Lots of tears. We had speeches, cue more tears, and lots of food and drink. We sailed round the island. Just gorgeous. It was such a relaxed day, but charged with emotion. It couldn’t have been more perfect.
The Getting Married Bit!








6 Comments:
Sasha... How (blub blub) beautiful!!! I love the dress, you looked fab! And the pic with your sis and dad is sooo lovely!
Loads of love and hugs
Ess.x
That's so gorgeous, the whole caboodle!
My sis is called Anna too!
ooooh i'm so chuffed to have found your diary! you look stunning at your wedding too! looking forward to reading more. sorry about no caps, i have a baby attached here!
What a beautiful wedding for such a lovely couple.
Such a romantic tale to be able to tell, I think I am addicted to your blog, when/what is the next installment?!
Bec x
OMG!! Your dress is gorgeous. I always wanted to get married with a big bump. I was pregnant when I got married too but only just! I think you looked beautiful. I know which dress you mean too.
Tom's birthday is 14th May, just thought Id say ;)
After reading your last entry I thought you were going to say Justin had already prearranged the whole wedding to take place after the firefly proposal! Even so, I can't believe you pulled off such a romantic wedding in only 3 weeks! Amazing! You're a beautiful couple.
Post a Comment
<< Home