Monday, August 14, 2006

Tea and Sympathy

Hmmm, so much for this being a post about Finnbin’s birthday!

Finn had his flu jab last Monday as we didn’t want it to get missed in all the hubbub surrounding the baby’s birth.
For the next few days, Finn suffered from the sniffles and was in Whinge Mood. He didn’t know what he wanted……patience of a saint was needed…not someone 39 weeks pregnant……poor sod!

This was only the second cold Finn has had and although he wasn’t poorly poorly, he certainly wasn’t himself. He soon picked up though and was just left with a cough.
On Saturday evening, I mentioned to Justin how I had a slight sore throat….he too had one…..by 10pm we were both feeling decidedly dodgy. We went to bed but sleep was impossible. We both felt like cack. At 11pm, the contractions started!!!! Admittedly, they were half an hour apart, so at least I got a respite from the pain, but the force at how quickly this cold had attacked us was quite incredible. You know that type of cold, where you ache all over, cannot get warm (despite living here!), your throat is so sore that you dread swallowing, your ears ache, your teeth ache, even the hair on your head hurts…..God I felt sorry for myself. I had visions of having to go to hospital feeling so ropey. Of all the things in the world I felt less like doing, giving birth was fairly high up there!! I couldn’t help but cry….you know when you feel so shit that your tears are hot. I was lying in bed, going through in my head all the things I needed to do before I left for the hospital, things like find my passport (no not for a moonlight flit, needed for id purposes at the hospital), clothes for the baby,
We gave up trying to sleep at about 330am, turned on the light and tried to read. Luckily just after this the contractions stopped! We drifted off to sleep at about 5amish only for Finnkus to wake us 2 hours later. He of course after 12 hours sleep, and feeling 100% better was full of beans….
We went to the beach as usual, albeit a lot later as we couldn’t get ourselves together, mainly cos Finn could play on the sand and not bother us! I couldn’t wait to get home so Finn could have his nap and so could I! But again sleep eluded me. Early to bed for us last night I can tell you!
So today, Monday, has seen a hive of activity at a snail’s pace mind! Still feel like pants, but nowhere near as bad as yesterday. The baby has somewhere to sleep, my passport has been found, there is food in the cupboards, the phone is charged as is the camera. I go in tomorrow and because of low amniotic fluid they will either induce then or on Wednesday. So my plans for spending quality time with my son on this our possibly last day as just a family of 3, went out the window!
We did manage to paint some stones that his dig dig had excavated from the lovely flower beds downstairs….eeeeek! He had a great time though choosing some of his old toys for the baby. Was quite an emotional moment as I remembered him ‘playing’ with them and now look…..!!!
The plan is for me to sleep in the baby’s room for a while on a sofa bed. His/her room used to be the spare room and cos we get lots of guests staying we have to have somewhere for them still hence the sofa bed. Our room has these amazing floor to ceiling windows….a fantastic view but unless you love sleeping in a greenhouse, not conducive to keeping your body temp below 100 degrees during the day! Makes sense just leaving the cot there instead of moving it backwards and forwards. So I’ll have a new roommate for a while…Justin is pretty pleased with this arrangement as not only does he get the bed to himself, he also gets undisturbed nights….don’t worry I will get my own back!!!

Seems totally surreal to think that tomorrow could be it! Am getting very exited to meet my son or daughter! I love love love being pregnant, I really do, but am now ready for the arrival. Hey and the room is ready too!
Will keep you posted!!!! I just hope it isn’t like Finn’s birth which was 36 hours! Cannot believe that possibly the next time I blog I will be a Mummy of two.


Finn after his painting efforts today!!!



Most prob my last photo pregnant. It was taken on Sunday which is why I look so goddamn awful!

8 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

Ooh when you said contractions, I immediatly had to scroll down to see pictures of your new baby!!! Not that I am impatiant or anything, you must understand. I'm glad you're all organised now, not that I am one to talk because I wasn't organised for Lucy and she was 15days late-good job I had her at home!! at least your mind can rest on that one.
Sorry you've all been poorly. Hope you're feeling better and getting ready for meeting your new little addition. SOOOO exciting!!! Bet Finn will love it.

10:00 pm  
Blogger Clare said...

You so DO NOT look awful! You look fab as always missus :)
Sorry you've been feeling so poorly, hope the nasty bug is all gone in time for that quick, easy, pain-free labour you are going to have! Can't believe you are about to have your new little one, I can hardly wait for your news xxxxxxx

10:30 pm  
Blogger Sam said...

Isn't it awful when you've been anything less than sympathetic for your toddler's/Dh's cold..only to catch it a day later and realise how nasty it is?! The upside to having all been poorly recently is that there shouldn't be any fluey bugs in the house when you bring your brand new bundle home again! Can't believe you'll be sharing your baby news within the week! Good Luck Sash....PUUUUUUSH!

12:29 am  
Blogger Clare said...

Ooooh, meant to say, when the REAL contractions start, you will know for sure. Believe me. :)

12:35 am  
Blogger Sue said...

Good Luck Missus!!!! Sorry you've felt like cack but you'll soon be babymooning!

Thinking of you...
Sue xxx

2:52 pm  
Blogger So long, farewell! said...

Wow, you poor thing getting the cold and contractions!

I didn't realise you were so close to giving birth - here's to a swift and pain free labour...

love

Moxie
xxx

PS you look fab not awful!

12:44 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Im soo bloody excited!!!

3:43 pm  
Blogger Bec said...

You look fantastic even when you feel so awful.
Can't wait to see a photo of Tilly.

Bec xx

6:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home