The Power of One Man...........

Not sure where I am going with this so stick with me please!!! I know there are a lot of people out there who read my Blog who I don’t know, so a big hello to them! Maybe they don’t know that my gorgeous son has cystic fibrosis, which is a genetic disease (hate that word) which affects the lungs. As you can tell from all the photos, Finn is incredibly healthy at the moment and we intend to keep him that way!! He is like any other almost 2 year old. He was on daily antibiotics but hasn’t been on those for a while as he hasn’t had any infections. (Touch wood!!) He has regular check ups to make sure he isn’t growing anything nasty.
We don’t make a big deal out of his cf, (see it even has small letters, I refuse to allow it capitals) which is why you won’t really find me mentioning it. OK, a small part of me may have my head in the sand about it, but also it doesn’t seem fair to Finn to have him ‘judged’ on something and treated differently when there is really no need. We refuse to wrap him up in cotton wool.
We discovered he had cf when he was two weeks old as his newborn heel prick test came back positive for it. A huge, massive shock, as it is genetic which means both Justin and I have to carry the gene to pass it on. We had no idea we did! Luckily Finn did have the newborn screening as he has been so healthy, we wonder when we would know he had it. A lot of children aren’t diagnosed until later on in life.
Luckily (not the right word!) cf is the most common genetic disorder in the Western world and there are huge plans in the pipeline for a cure as it is a life threatening condition. By 2012 it look like gene therapy will provide the key. Finn will be 7.
Another possible cure maybe through stem cell transplants.
When I was pregnant with Finn we looked into the possibility of saving his umbilical cord blood (his stem cells). I knew that, God forbid, he developed cancer one day, he could use this to have a bone marrow transplant and the research going on to treat other illnesses meant in a way it was a insurance policy. I read a few leaflets, did some reading and ummmed and ahhhed about it. We decided we would find out about the cost before we decided anything. I rang one place who were having a special promotion. It would cost ₤17 to collect it (has to be collected immediately the baby is born), free for the first year to store it and ₤70 a year after that. As Justin said at the time you could spend ₤70 easily on a meal out. So we went ahead and had it stored.
When Finn was diagnosed, it didn’t even cross our mind we had stored the stem cells, then as we did more and more research into the cure……there it was in black and white……..all the research. Finn is one of the very few sufferers who has his cord blood banked and we have made people in the know aware of this as we are happy for him to be a guinea pig!
I find it incredible we have his stem cells tucked away in a lab. Maybe nothing will come of it, but the work going on is incredible. Not sure I really believe in things happening for a reason anymore as so much stuff has happened to people I know and love, but sometimes, just sometimes, I think….yeah that was meant to happen.
Why am I going on about this now?????? Without meaning to offend anyone, George Bush pisses me off. Big style. This week he used his presidential right to veto a bill that was passed to fund stem cell research. The Americans were going great in their research, not just for cf, but for alzheimer’s, diabetes, parkinson’s…….and yet one man’s personal beliefs can change all this. Polls show most Americans disagree with the ban and that he is losing voters because of it….bloody good I say!!!!
When you are on the other side and it is your child who needs a cure you will do anything, anything to get it and you are stopped in your tracks by a bigot.
Luckily, lots of the clever people, have gone over to the UK to carry on the incredible work they are doing. I thank them lots!!

12 Comments:
Bush needs to take HIS head out of the sand & realise what the important things in life are. How dare he stand in the way of life changing research.
You & J blow my mind, you really do! I'd never heard about that research before, but that you both agreed to store his stem cells to protect his future health before you even knew of his condition...you're just such amazing parents...he's one lucky lucky lil fella. Good on you guys xxx
I wish that bloke would get his head out of his arse! Finn and teeny weeny person are so lucky to have you and Justin as parents, they really are!
Grr. The more I read and see about the man, the more I detest him. The fact that americans have count-downs to when he is no longer in power on their web-sites and blogs, shows just how much he is 'loved' in his country too!
Maybe someone was looking down on you when you were deciding to keep Finns stem cells. I'd never heard about it either. You are so thoughtful and knowledgeable parents. Finn and mini-Stockley are very lucky children to have you and Justin as their Mummy and Daddy.
N
xx
OMG that man is a ****ing ****er!!! Bleugh.
What an amazing twist of fate that you decided to store those stem cells. And what amazing work researchers do. Roll on 2012. xx
PS, Of all the BC kiddiwinks, Little Finn always looks the absolute picture of health. Fab job you are doing there Sasha x
You are all very sweet for leaving lovely messages, but honestly we are not remarkable in the slightest! We are just so lucky to have a Finnkus Binnkus in our lives who is so fun and full of life. I do agree though that he always looks the picture of health (touch wood!!!) but put this down to the lifestyle we lead. Heck, having an Aussie for a Dadda has gotta be one of the best things for our little guy as J cannot stop still and Finn has inherited that! Always on the go....knackering but worth it!
Andyes Calre, the researchers are amazing amazing people. I feel totally humbled by them and the job they do. Helping my little boy and lots of other just like him get better.
Thanks again....your words mean a lot.
Love Sxxxxxx
You only have to say the words George Bush and everyone knows there will be a story of him making yet another mistake. It scares me that he is in charge the most powerful country in the world.
I know all about Finn and his cf, but like others have said, I just 'forget' he has it, IYKWIM. You've won the lottery twice, once having him, then doing the stem cells.
I need your adress btw missus, ahem, for when your next little lottery win puts in an appearance!
xxxx
Sash,
What a great thing you had the stem cells stored!!I was thinking about doing it too for Nia but somehow along the line it was forgotten and when I think about the huge chance we missed out on, I regret it dearly.
So glad Finnbles is thriving, he looks happier and healthier than most of us. And GB is a w****r. For lots of reasons.
xxx
K
I guess the only good thing about George Bush is that his term finishes in about 2 1/2 years!!! And then he's out! I think he's vile, thick as pig shit (no offence to pigs who are alot nicer than GWB) and probably just as evil as Saddam, except he only does what he can just about get away with.
Sorry, rant over!!
How amazing that you chose to store Finn's stem cells before you even knew about his condition. My friend who has an 18 year old with CF asks me how Finn is doing when I bump into her. Her son is taking a year out before he goes to Uni, though still eagerly awaiting his A Level results. I've never seen him look ill a day in his life(well in the 11 years I've known him). He is tall and very thin, but then so is his dad so could be the CF or simple genetics.
Finn is very lucky to have parents who treat him like any other child and not molly coddling him which would be so unfair considering how active and sociable he is. Like Lesley says, you forget Finn has CF.
Alx
Well, if Bush can do THAT, no wander he is letting (or encouraging...) so many children being killed in Lebanon.
Follow your heart,
Irene
With you on the Bush anger. God I hate that man. I too always forget about Finn's cf cos he's so wonderful and healthy and GAWJUS!
Sal xxxxxxxxxxx
Finn is the most handsome wonderful little boy ever. Someone obviously thought that he (and you) were strong enough to deal with cf and not to let it be an issue in your lifes.
I am sure a cure is just around the corner no matter what bush tried to do. Good news about the cord blood storage. We donated Jayden's for research when he was born.
Hope everything is ok with you all, haven't seen you around for a while. Just over two weeks until 15.8!!
Bec xx
I'm glad the Bush link made you laugh on my blog and now, even more so, I see why.
We've been looking into cord banking too and reading your blog entry has firmed up a few things in my mind.
They are so close to discovering so much now, who knows what they will be able to do in 20 years time, it's just amazing.
I always wonder why Bush and co don't want this kind of research to be done, kind of like the everlasting lightbulb never being released, I am sure it would mean 'financial losses' in some area, which is all these a*** think about.
love and hugs
Moxie
xxx
Post a Comment
<< Home