Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Birth Story.........

Subtitled......The Case of the Disappearing Waters!



Low amniotic levels worried the doc so the decision to induce was made. I was almost 40 weeks anyway so wasn’t too worried but was sad to be saying goodbye to being pregnant.
So on Wednesday 16th August I said goodbye to my Finnkus Binnkus (gulp!) and we went to hospital. Naively I expected to be given some drugs and later on that day a baby would appear! But was told that I’d be given a pessary at 930am to ripen my cervix, which was tightly closed. Then at 330pm given another one, then the following morning they’d break my waters and give me a drip of Oxytocin. Bugger! Not what I had expected at all. I sent Justin home to be with Finn, had the pessary and went up to my room. (They administer the pessaries in the delivery suite)
So I am up in my room (am afraid the room deserves a separate post of its own…….watch this space!!!) reading magazines, watching the tv, eating lunch, munching on M&S chocolate chip cookies…….get the idea?! It was bloody marvelous! I had a nap and then it was time to go back for the other pessary. I walked down to the delivery suite even though it is quite a trek. Felt fine, had a few cramps but nothing more. Thought these were in my head anyway!
At the delivery room they examined me and pronounced me 2 cm dilated and they wouldn’t bother with the pessary. They also said they wouldn’t send me back up to my room but keep me there instead. I was so pleased I had thought to bring my camera just in case!
By about 4ish the cramps were getting more and more painful. I ran a bath and was so pleased there was lots of hot water. Sat in it for ages and rang Justin to come in. previously I had told him to wait till Finn was in bed, but decided I needed him there. I stayed in the bath till he arrived, by which time I was in real pain!
They decided to break my waters to speed things along……..only thing was……there were no waters to break! I felt like a real silly sod when they said ‘did you notice them going?” Er…..no! The only thing I can assume is they went in the bath and I didn’t even know!
By this time, about 6pm I was still only 3 cm dilated. I assumed we would be in for the long haul, just like Finn. Dilating a cm a time every few hours. I was told it would be the next day before he or she arrived. My doctor went home.
At this point I decided to opt for an epidural. The pain was very intense and I knew from Finn’s labour I would need all my strength to push and as this would be a long drawn out process too I would need some rest.
Big mistake. The first epidural wouldn’t go in and was so painful. The doc couldn’t get it right. Once it was in it had to come out as it wasn’t working. So onto no. 2. This went in fine but only numbed my legs and thighs not my tummy. No idea what went wrong. But fat lot of good it did!
They examined me just after 8pm. I was 3 cm, almost 4 on a good day. I laughed and said let’s call it a good day as 4 sounded so much better than 3! Five minutes later I just screamed……..I was in the most incredible pain. Called Justin to get the F$$$ing nurse as this was not normal….something was wrong. Nurse dutifully examined me……..I was fully dilated! The only thing is my doc was at home! Protocol really, is that your doc delivers….also he needed to collect the stem cells……I was told not to push…..that was hard when all your instincts are telling you too.
The doctor walked into the room at 845pm. He was gowned up and in position at 850pm.
At 855pm, Tilly Rose Stockley was born. I was in shock, not so much as to the fact we had a daughter, but at the speed in which it all happened. Took ages to sink in that she was here. It all seemed so surreal.
We had a cuddle before she was whisked away to be examined. Pronounced perfect and given back to me for a suck on my boobs! She was so beautiful and just kept looking around her as if to say what the f*** just happened!!!!
We were back up to my room by 11pm and of course I didn’t sleep a wink! Just kept staring at her and replaying the events in my mind.
The best thing about her being born on the 16th is that it is also my niece’s birthday. Lucy is another August 04 baby and got the best 2nd birthday present ever! Well, it certainly pleased me and my sister! They are coming out here next year for a 1st and 3rd birthday party.
OK, I know this is all a random waffle….sorry!!!



Welcome to the World Baby Girl!!! The moment!!!!! Not the most flattering of photos but hey....I was busy!


9 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Great birth story! I love the idea of you trying to hold on till the doctor arrived, but hat off to you, you did it!!!

Lovely that Tilly and Lucy share a birthday too!

3:13 pm  
Blogger Clare said...

Oh buggeration, I'm crying again :)

Blimey Sasha, you're better at getting them out than me! Sorry it hurt so much though... Sounds like Tilly was in a big hurry to meet her mummy, can't say that I blame her! She's just soooooo scrummy, an absolutel beauty :)

4:42 pm  
Blogger Sam said...

Aww, she's adorable, so blonde! 16th is my dad's birthday too and Leo's are supposed to get on v well together so that explains why Finn is so great with his lil sis already! Sorry to hear the epidurals didn't work Sash, but way to go at pushing Tilly out so quickly! Incredible. You are!

7:48 pm  
Blogger Nic said...

Aww, she looks lovely and sooo alert. You don't do dozy babies, do you Sash?
Great birth story. I could just imagine you all relaxed then trying to hold on for the doc.
I hope you are all doing well.
Nic
xx

4:38 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful Sash.
I know that feeling of having to not push. Not nice!
She's so beautiful Splish. Cant wait to hear more about her xxxxxxxxx

6:54 am  
Blogger Bec said...

Lovely birth story Sasha. Sounds like Tilly wanted to meet her family!
How's the babymoon going?
Welcome to the world Tilly Rose.
Bec

6:11 am  
Blogger So long, farewell! said...

Another weepy hormonal woman here too! What a wonderful story, and I love the name (it's on my wish list too!)

Congratulations and big big hugs, she's truly beautiful.

xxx

9:07 pm  
Blogger Irene said...

Congratulations on your beautiful daughter.
well done!

2:42 am  
Blogger Katuska said...

Sasha,
Just beautiful. Speechless.
And that pic at the very moment of her being born...that just says it all.
Beautiful.
xxx
Kata

5:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home